Sunday, November 21, 2010

Christmas consumerism

The reason I didn't have a very long post yesterday is because I had to be in my town's Christmas parade for an organization I'm in. "A Christmas parade, before Thanksgiving?!?" you're all probably saying. Yup, a Christmas parade before Thanksgiving. Now, I have absolutely nothing against a Christmas parade, as it is extremely fun to ride on a float that you decorated with your friends, nor do I have a problem with my town promoting its small hometown businesses during the parade to get residents to purchase items from them, but the whole point is that the world has the problem of consumerism. Most people in the world today are too worried about material things, that is why Christmas doesn't really mean what it should. They are too concentrated on what they are going to get out of Christmas, instead of what Christmas is really about, Our Lord coming into the world. Don't get me wrong, presents at Christmas are not bad, it's just when they are the only thing that matters about Christmas. So, if you already don't, before you open your presents at Christmas this year, spend a little time in prayer, sing Christmas hymns, and do anything else religious so that you may just keep in mind the true meaning of Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. This is SO true! Every Christmas Eve we carol to our neighbors and give them a little gift. Then we go home and read the birth of Jesus and have Christmas music playing. My dad always says that even thought the gifts are great we can't forget what Christmas is really about.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment....we love them!

There was an error in this gadget