Monday, March 7, 2011

Lenten Resolutions: What are YOU giving up?

Hey there everyone! I know I haven't posted in a while (bad blogger) but I've been super busy. Last week was finals week and that wore me out. We also completely reorganized our basement, making it look like people can actually spend time down there. We got rid of unused toys and furniture, donating them to people who need them. We also rearranged the entire recreation section, making room for a big screen tv that we just bought and a small couch. It looks amazing. This week we start school again and continue for two weeks, then we are on Spring Break.
As many of you know, this Wednesday is Ash Wednesday. It is a tradition in my family to give up something you love. My mom is giving up pop (she's addcited), my little brother who adores video games are giving up all computer and video games, and I'm giving up snacks (I have the tendency to grab a granola bar or a graham cracker when I'm not even hungry.) On top of that, my parents are making us a couple other things. Lent is a time for PRAYER, FASTING, and ALMSGIVING. Well, I already listed the thing that I'm fasting from - snacks - what about prayer and almsgiving. I'm going to say evening prayer from my Magnificat prayer book every night and give some extra money to the Church. Here are some ideas for all of you girls:

PRAYER
Make the resolution to say morning and/or evening prayer each night
If you have free time, devote half of it to prayer or meditation
Stop in at church once a week and just say hi to Jesus
Commit to a weekly hour at your Church's adoration chapel


FASTING
Give up pop, snacks, computer/video games, television, internet (kinda hard for bloggers), desserts, fast food, or whatever is your weak spot.
Fast from being unkind, disrespectful, or mean. Try your hardest to be respectful towards adults and most importantly, parents, and be kind to everyone, even those you don't know.

ALMSGIVING
Give an extra portion of your allowance to the Church. If you don't already, now's a good time to start.
Every time you find spare change, put it in a jar to donate to charity. Where God Weeps is a place that features and raises money for poor countries all over the world. Also, try giving money to Crisis Pregnancy centers.

Good luck with your Lenten resolution!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment....we love them!

There was an error in this gadget